As our current job market is shifting and experiencing layoffs and companies are moving to remote work to combat the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), many are wondering, “How do I even search for a new job during this uncertain time?” In chaos, anxiety and uncertainty it’s normal to be discouraged from developing a strong job search.
Although hiring has slowed down, companies are still actively recruiting and looking for strong new talent to problem solve and continue to be resilient in the face of adversity. While less hiring means a more competitive search, you can also leverage this time to stand out within your job search by being strategic, intentional and nimble to land a job that you’re passionate about. Remember that you have options. In addition to full-time employment opportunities, companies are hiring to fill project and contract-based positions. During this tumultuous time you have the opportunity to enhance your expertise, build your network and reflect on your next step professionally. Hiring during a crisis also means a quicker hiring process and cycle.
We can’t, obviously, predict when this virus will subside and the job market will steady itself, but we can choose to adequately equip ourselves with information to gain job stability. Follow our tips for conducting a job search during uncertain times, to gain the confidence and clarity to move forward in your career.
1. Create a timeline for your job search.
2. Strengthen connections with your networks online.
3. Identify and apply to growth industries and specializations.
4. Revamp your resume and online profiles.
5. Add to your professional toolkit by taking online courses.
6. Be flexible, and consider temporary opportunities.
7. Prepare to interview virtually, and start work as a remote employee.
8. Be patient with slower processes.